sobota, 30 grudnia 2023


Rick Froberg passed away six months ago, on 30th of June, 2023. To keep his memory alive, here is the short online interview I did with him during the lockdown of late 2020 and early 2021. 




I saw Hot Snakes live eight times, Obits twice. But I only spoke to Rick Froberg once. And that was after their gig in Nottingham. I got Ryanair vouchers for my birthday. I worked hard on my sadly lost Baza bar. So when they announced a short tour of the UK, I decided to treat myself and go and see them again. After the London date fell through due to other commitments, I went for a weekend in the Big Smoke and a trip to Notts. 

This was shortly after I had successfully raised the money to publish my novel 'Weltschmerz Hardcore'. I was so happy and during the trip I wrote a piece for my zine, which was a bonus for people who had pre-ordered the book. After the show in Nottingham there was a wonderful after party. I had the idea that there should be a piece on Hot Snakes in my zine. I talked to Rick about it and he agreed to an email interview. He was surprised to hear that I had come all the way from Poland to see them play. I was in a good mood at the time and tried to explain to him that I wasn't crazy at all. Ultimately, no one is surprised when old people travel to watch their team. I'm not much of a football fan, but I do travel to see my favourite bands. As an official Hot Snakes die hard supporter, I went to Lille that year and then I went to Nottingham. 

I came back and emailed Rick. I never heard back from him. That just happened to be the time of the pandemic and then the book launch. I was busy with other things so I gave the idea a rest. I picked it up again during the second lockdown. I had no money left to support myself, and for the sake of my mental health I started a brand new zine. This time he replied very laconically, but I managed to turn it into a beautiful story about how much I loved his band. It was published in the second issue of my zine, 'Revolution Rock'. 

"His art made life better," wrote his bandmate John Ries. - The only thing he loved more than art and rock and roll was his friends. He will forever be remembered for his creativity, his vision and his ability to bring beauty into this world". 

His legacy lives on. I have been listening to the Hot Snakes today and I will continue to do so in the future. Just to make my own life a little better.





















How do you deal with the rough pandemic reality of 2020? Both personal and bandwise. Is there any lesson coming from the whole experience? 

Rick: We don't go anywhere or do anything. Both personal and bandwise. Same as everybody else. Whatever lessons are going to come out of the experience will, or at least should be, obvious to all in time. 




On your Instagram you put some artwork dealing with Covid issues, encouraging people to wear masks and wash hands. Do you find it important to spread it through your music? 

Rick: I have no social media and no access to our social media, so that wasn't me. Personally, I think there's plenty of that crap out there already and you don't need to hear more of it from a rock band. 

Can nostalgia be creative? 

Rick: Strictly speaking, yes I think so. Take two things that weren't previously conjoined - nostalgic or not - and throw them together and violà! Something new. 




Back in the day I got one of your tshirts I still admire a lot with the Rock und Kunst. Could you tell us what was the idea behind the artwork? How does it relate to things you are doing with Hot Snakes? 

Rick: Just a one off  t-shirt design. I don't think I even have one of those. Surprised you'd have it in Poland. It was just a sort of one-off  Das Boot gag, which probably won't have much bearing on what we/I do going forward. 




The book I wrote is based on the idea of a compilation tape, telling someone's story in punk rock songs. What will be on your compilation tape? Could you name a few songs which relate the most to you personally and tell us why in one or two sentences? 

Rick: I'd imagine our stories would be best told through our own music. As much as I like many, many other things, I think for better or for worse our compilation tape is being made in real time by us and is us. That, and whatever else we do, collectively or individually, is going to be real story. Much in the same way that your book is going to say a lot more about you than your playlist choices. 

Well, you are still affiliated with punk rock. There’s a sentence in my book saying that music which intended to be a voice of pissed off kids still works as a soundrack to daily grind for disillusioned adults. Agree or disagree? 

Rick: That's really not up to me. I suppose there's worse things to be affiliated with. Not running down punk rock, I just think it's a small part of a larger continuum. It seems to me that the music you discover during your formative years stays with you and will forever be, to you, the best music.

Who are some of you favourite writers of all time and could you name some of your favourite books? 

Rick: Hmm. Dashiell Hammet, Raymond Chandler, Orwell, Cervantes. Dunno what my favorites would be. I have a tendency to read a book once and pass it on. 





As far as I am concerned your music taste is pretty diverse. Why are you stuck to guitar rockandroll as a form of expression of your choice? 

Rick: I like the format. There's a lot you can do with it. It's all I really understand. Other things may go in, but they come out the other end rockandroll. 

What's been the Hot Snakes greatest achievement so far? 

Rick: Hanging in there. In our own way. 

How would you like to be remembered as a band? 

R:  As the best band ever.  Failing that, it would be nice just to be remembered at all.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz